Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Its a ......


When we decided to make this move to Seattle our plan was that I would take some time off. Six months to cool my heels and figure out what I wanted to do.
On our week-long break in Hawaii, the unraveling of said plans began. I developed what I thought was food poisoning; nausea and the occasional bout of vomiting.

Unfortunately I’ve flown nauseous one too many times and this experience wasn’t any better. The first four days in Seattle I was still battling my ailments, eating sporadically and trying to find something to ease my symptoms. Alas nothing worked and Nuwan hadn’t started at work…we were stranded with no health insurance. On his first official day at work I went to see the doctor, thankfully just down the road. It took a quick pee in a cup and the verdict was in… no food poisoning, I was well and truly PREGNANT! Sure was a way to make Nuwan remember his first day at work!

A baby was always in the plan, the timing was a little unexpected! We’ve spent the last couple of months settling in, finding a house and telling people our exciting news… what fun. Unfortunately it’s also been a 10-week stint of morning (should be called all-day) sickness, keeping secrets from our family till the magic 12-week mark and ultrasounds on a pregnant, full bladder!

20 weeks + 2 days pregnant!
So now the work plan has gone out the window, for the time being at least. Instead I’m trying to finish off a semester of my masters so that I can defer for the arrival of our little-man or little lady.

He or she is due, ironically enough on Australia Day, 2013. All the way on the other side of the world, we’re going to have ourselves a Yankee baby hopefully born on Australia Day.  Of course, a few weeks early or a week late he/she might impinge on a few family birthdays.

I don’t think we ever expected to raise a baby in another country, least of all America. I think there are going to be challenges… big challenges but hopefully we’re strong/stubborn enough to raise an Australian on this side of the Pacific.

So here’s to Nuwan and I on our quest to raise a free-thinking, liberal-minded, peace-loving individual who judges people on the content of their character not on their age, sex, race or who they choose to love. Oh and with excellent taste in music of course (at least that part will be easy in this city).

Our bub at 12 weeks, very stubborn and wouldn't move for the sonographer to see. 
At our 20 week scan bub came in perfect. All the right bits in all the right parts and the right number of everything! Oh and by the way in the words of our dear friend Rose,  The peanut has a penis!

No comments:

Post a Comment