Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Surprise Baby Shower



As you may know my lovely sister and family planned a surprise baby shower for me on the Saturday of the October long weekend. I was totally surprised and was so excited to see all my friends one more time.



My sister, known for her inability to focus on domestic tasks, out-did herself by planning food, decorations and activities with the help of my friends.


My friend Jill even made an amazing baby shower cake complete with a limb-less baby covered in a blanket.

In order to achieve this feat, there were several lies told and while I appreciate it, I’m going to pull you up on this.

Lies people told me:

  •  Goodbye- the amount of people I said goodbye to for good…shame on you for lying to a pregnant woman
  • Pabs: I’m going to a BBQ so I can’t pick you up
  • Holly: There’s a few pregnant girls at work, what kind of baby things do you think they’d like?
Clues I should have picked up on

  • Who goes to a BBQ in Autumn, in the city at night?
  • Why did Ruvi keep a pregnant woman walking around the shops for nearly 4 hours?
  • Akki, are you really, really, really, really sure you don’t want to shower?
  • Tavi’s car parked up the road…she was a day early.

The presents
I got the most lovely presents and they are now sitting comfortably inside the nursery. However, I though a few special mentions needed to be made

Holly
This was the closest thing she could find to bloomers, because I was exclaiming during our trip to Target that it was a shame boys clothes didn’t come with cute bloomers. I suspect this was what she was doing while she disappeared and I had to call and find her.
Bloomers

Sheri
The teddy you see here has quite a story behind it. When Sheri and I caught up for lunch a few school holidays ago she had an inkling that I might announce I was pregnant. With a self-confessed tendency to get ahead of herself Sheri bought the bear with the grand plan of un-veiling it as soon as I spilled my big news. Unfortunately the news never came during our lunch….but I’m glad I could be of assistance in putting it to good use sooner rather than later.



Ammi
My mum and I went shopping on Friday to get a whole lot of Australiana to take back with me. On the way in I pointed out to mum a nappy cake and explained that these were all the rage at baby-showers now. More from a bonding over cake POV. Turns out she found this information particularly helpful and sent my father out to try and find it, to no avail. I’m she had to go back and get it herself after all.


Thanks everyone for the Bonds wondersuits, sadly unavailable in the States. It's never too early to indoctrinate a baby right?


Also, check out these awesome ski-suits!


The games
My sister has an aversion to organized games where strangers have to mingle and make fun. So she put Tavi in charge of games and they came up with ones that only put me in the spotlight, which I guess is okay.


Game 1: Everyone had to decorate a singlet for the bubba and they’re currently sitting in his closest.
Game 2: A baby quiz where I scored an impressive 8/20.
Some interesting facts I learned….drats, can’t remember a thing.
Game 3: My favourite, envelopes with the different numbers on them. Each person or pair of people had to write a letter to the baby at that specified age. I cannot wait to open these.



All in all I loved the baby shower, it was fun and exciting and I guess a little shock and surprise never hurt anyone. Thanks to everyone that came, bought food and of course bought amazing gifts.

I totally forgive all the lies! Xoxox

Chath



No comments:

Post a Comment