Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Dukkah



We haven't been able to find this middle-eastern spice mix anywhere in Seattle, in fact we've barely seen a middle eastern restaurant!

I did a bit of research and settled on this recipe because it had all the bits and pieces i liked.



1 cup of almonds (roasted in the oven 5-7 minutes at about 180c)
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
2 tablespoons of paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
I table spoon each of coriander and cumin dry roasted in a pan
Salt and chilli to taste





Once gathered and roasted I tipped the spies into my  my food processer and let it do it's magic. Once the spices are ground (use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder if you want it really finely ground) add the almonds and pulse. I've found if you add the almonds too soon and keep processing you'll get dukkah flavoured almond butter....tasty but not quite what we're after. The almonds also left some bigger parts but again, I'm all for the texture.



Serve with warm crusty bread and olive oil....delish!

This is also my favourite way to serve lamb, I cover the joint in oil, stud it with garlic and cover liberally with dukkah. It smells amazing as it  roasts in the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment